Author Topic: Setting up Alt-Tuner with Garritan's Aria Player  (Read 111 times)

Rami2

• View Profile
Setting up Alt-Tuner with Garritan's Aria Player
« on: November 24, 2017, 11:06:22 AM »
Hi Kite,

Alt-tester works perfectly with Aria Player using the first tuning method. I play the keys in Reaper and I hear them being bent according to the provided 10 and 11 EDO scales in Alt tester. However, using the same setup of a solo track and adding the first effect of Alt Tuner followed by Aria Player does not give me the same result. I change the notes per octave to 24 in Alt Tuner, the 24 EDO scale is all I'll ever need in this stage in my life, but I don't hear any pitch bends. In fact, the only note that I can hear when I press it is A (because its set to channel 1 which is the only one with sound coming out). The rest are silent. It's not being bent either, just a regular A, the same as it sounds in the Aria player itself.

When I switch to one midi output channel (mono mode in the Misc window in Alt Tuner) I can hear all the notes, but no pitch bend.

I tried all the different Keybend range values (50 to 4800) in the keybend window, but no luck.

I have a feeling that the solution is extremely simple, but after a while of trying I resorted to asking for help haha

Thanks in advance

Rami2

• View Profile
Re: Setting up Alt-Tuner with Garritan's Aria Player
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 11:20:17 AM »
So thanks to your comment in another post made on this forum, I dragged the slider of 'number of keys' in the Keyboard window to 24 and voila the notes are bent!

now I have to figure out the whole channel situation in the Misc window, some notes are still not playing. I'll keep tinkering, maybe I'll figure it out.

Rami2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 12:25:55 PM »
Update:

It's working well with mono mode, but there are two notes that are missing, B quarter flat and E quarter flat. Attached is a picture of the Keyboard panel in Alt Tuner with the missing two keys. I'll keep tinkering to see if I can figure it out.

Rami2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 01:41:33 PM »
So when I move the key slider number to 24 and then the notes per octave slider also to 24, a button shows up "EDO TAP'. When I click it, the two missing notes are filled in. Holy moly! Finally I can start working. I cannot believe how difficult it is for someone to do music outside of E-12. I'll post about my setup here so others can learn from my experience. It took me a quite a long time to get this setup going and there have been some useful forum/online posts here and there, but as one post that fully outlines how to get a complete setup. I'll definitely make one here, and maybe a youtube video afterwards too.

Rami2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 05:36:15 PM »
Fixing/completing incomplete sentence in last post: 'but finding one post that fully outlines how to get a complete setup, I definitely did not see.'

Ok now I definitely need some help.

Tested most of the instruments from Garritan's Personal Orchestra and they all respond to pitch bending. The Oud instrument from Garritan's World Instruments also responds to pitch bending, which gives a somewhat authentic sound when using quarter tones, definitely pleasant.

The keyboards, including the grand piano, and the harps in Garritan's Personal Orchestra don't respond to pitch bending. Is there a workaround to this? Are you familiar with other synths where the instruments respond to pitch bend except for the keyboards? They sound incredible and I'd really like to use them in my compositions.

I'll start working using the other instruments and wait for your reply.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:41:56 PM by Rami2 »

Tall Kite

• The Tall One
  • Administrator
  • Expert Member
    • View Profile
    • my website:
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 12:33:10 AM »
So when I move the key slider number to 24 and then the notes per octave slider also to 24, a button shows up "EDO TAP'. When I click it, the two missing notes are filled in.

Yes, this is the right way to do it.

The keyboards, including the grand piano, and the harps in Garritan's Personal Orchestra don't respond to pitch bending. Is there a workaround to this? Are you familiar with other synths where the instruments respond to pitch bend except for the keyboards? They sound incredible and I'd really like to use them in my compositions.

Sometimes the people who make the synths don't bother to add responsiveness to pitch bending. Electric guitar synths always have it, sometimes piano synths don't. I suppose they figure no-one will use that feature. I've even seen full-size standalone keyboards that don't bend.

There's an easy test you can do: use the actual pitch bend wheel on your midi controller and see if it works with your various instruments. (If you don't have a physical wheel, there's a reaper plugin that will work.) If the pitch doesn't bend, the synth is basically untunable. There are other methods of retuning other than pitch bending, like using a sysex, but they are rarely implemented, and wouldn't be if pitch bending wasn't. If you absolutely had to use such a synth, you could conceivably load up 12 synths, one for each note, and recalibrate the "A" synth 50? sharp, the "Bb" synth a little flat, etc. Better just to get a different piano synth.

Once you figure out what in GPO is bendable, it would be nice to post about it here, to let others know.
DAWs: Reaper, ProTools 7.4 (PT is mac only)
HARDWARE: Yamaha s90 ES, M-Audio Keystation 49e, Line 6 FBV mark II express (footpedal unit)
SOFTSYNTHS: Kontakt 4, SampleTank 3 free, Pianoteq demo, ReaSynth, all Xen-Arts synths