Author Topic: pitch to MIDI using alt-tuner  (Read 233 times)

John

• View Profile
pitch to MIDI using alt-tuner
« on: September 16, 2017, 02:14:21 PM »
I have been experimenting with pitch to MIDI using ReaTune, which I can get to output MIDI from my recorded voice. I am hoping there is a way to output MIDI with the proper pitch bends so that I can sing microtonally and record the appropriate MIDI pitches. Do you know how to do this? I have tried putting alt-tuner in the chain, but no luck yet.

Tall Kite

• The Tall One
  • Administrator
  • Expert Member
    • View Profile
    • my website:
Re: pitch to MIDI using alt-tuner
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 01:10:36 AM »
Interesting. ReaTune puts out untuned midi -- just note-ons and note-offs, no pitch bends. So it's kind of like playing a standard 12-notes-per-8ve keyboard with your voice, the midi is always 12edo, even if you sing microtonally. But if you sing a note that falls midway between the standard 12edo pitches, like a neutral interval, the slightest wobble in your voice crosses the boundary line, and ReaTune jumps madly back and forth between two notes. So best not to sing too far from 12edo.

You can put alt-tuner after ReaTune and then retune the midi to any scale you want. Then put a synth after that, and you'll hear what you sing, but retuned to alt-tuner's scale. You can watch the lattice in alt-tuner showing what note you're singing. Then try to match pitch with the synth. This is really fun, you can train your voice and your ear too.

You can put ReaControlMIDI after ReaTune and before alt-tuner, and use the snap to scale feature. Then you don't have to stick to 12edo so closely.

Haha, if you set alt-tuner to more than 12 notes per octave on the keyboard screen, the pitch you sing and the synth's pitch are totally unrelated.
DAWs: Reaper, ProTools 7.4 (PT is mac only)
HARDWARE: Yamaha s90 ES, M-Audio Keystation 49e, Line 6 FBV mark II express (footpedal unit)
SOFTSYNTHS: Kontakt 4, SampleTank 3 free, Pianoteq demo, ReaSynth, all Xen-Arts synths

John

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 02:56:52 PM »
Thanks, TK. I also purchased MiGiC, which does a better job tracking and outputs bend info also. I have requested that the developer allow for non-12 scales, maybe using Scala. No idea how hard that is to implement. Is there any way to use the pitch bend  signal with alt-tuner to do interesting things?

Tall Kite

• The Tall One
  • Administrator
  • Expert Member
    • View Profile
    • my website:
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 10:03:10 PM »
I'm curious, do you like MiGiC? Does it work well with voice?

Alt-tuner just adds any manual bends onto the tuning bends. It lets you manually bend away from the retuned scale. So if you're in C, and you sing a 7/6 30¢ flat of 12edo, and alt-tuner is set up to treat Eb as a 7/6, it will assume you played the Eb key while bending that note down 30¢, and it will wind up being 60¢ flat of 12edo, probably not what you want. So either don't use alt-tuner with MiGiC, or else filter out the pitch bends that MiGiC outputs, and let alt-tuner do the bending. If MiGiC doesn't let you filter out the bends, I can write an effect that will.
DAWs: Reaper, ProTools 7.4 (PT is mac only)
HARDWARE: Yamaha s90 ES, M-Audio Keystation 49e, Line 6 FBV mark II express (footpedal unit)
SOFTSYNTHS: Kontakt 4, SampleTank 3 free, Pianoteq demo, ReaSynth, all Xen-Arts synths