Author Topic: unsolicited tuning alterations  (Read 278 times)

Jordan

• View Profile
unsolicited tuning alterations
« on: April 29, 2017, 06:38:46 PM »
Hello.  I have been having some issues again after I had switched to using Pianoteq as a test software to make things less complicated. 

I am attempting to tune not-too-exotic classical temperaments with small adjustements to 12-TET to produce more convincing sonorities.

I adjjust each pitch by ear using the keybend-screen (octaves-locked, 12 MIDI channels out).  The problem is that as I adjust any one pitch, I experience small, uncontrollable alterations in the pitches of the other 11 scale tones.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jordan

• View Profile
Re: unsolicited tuning alterations
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 07:03:30 PM »
Also, the only adjustment I make before navigating to the keybend screen is to set the EDO to 12.
Thanks

Tall Kite

• The Tall One
  • Administrator
  • Expert Member
    • View Profile
    • my website:
Re: unsolicited tuning alterations
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 01:58:37 AM »
I can't duplicate the problem. I put reaControlMIDI right after alt-tuner and clicked "show log". Every note except the ones I keybent were preceded by a zero-cents pitch bend message (LSB 0 MSB 64). And the keybent ones had the correct bend. Which means that alt-tuner is working fine.

Possibly your problem arises only with certain combinations of keybending and note-playing. You can attach a sample Reaper project to this thread and I'll take a look. If you can, include a short midi file with the notes played. Or you can just describe exactly what you're bending and playing. For example, do single notes drift, or only those in chords?

Or, the problem may be with PianoTeq somehow. I know that it sometimes stretches octaves even if you tell it not to. From the manual: "Click options/midi and confirm that pitch bend range is -200 to +200. Confirm that "temperament" is set to "equal" (stretched octaves) or "flat" (unstretched). For unstretched octaves, confirm that "octave stretching" is set to 1. ("Equal" is always stretched even if this slider is at 1.) Click on "Diapason 440 hz" and then "detune notes" to further control stretch."

Of course, even if octaves are stretched, pitches shouldn't change uncontrollably. How many cents does the pitch vary by? If you hold an electronic tuner up to the speaker, what does it say?
DAWs: Reaper, ProTools 7.4 (PT is mac only)
HARDWARE: Yamaha s90 ES, M-Audio Keystation 49e, Line 6 FBV mark II express (footpedal unit)
SOFTSYNTHS: Kontakt 4, SampleTank 3 free, Pianoteq demo, ReaSynth, all Xen-Arts synths