Author Topic: Retuning Pianoteq on the fly using variable generator or pitch sliders  (Read 360 times)

Jim Bell

• View Profile
Hi Tall Kite!

I was asking in the XA facebook group about Alt-tuner being able to retune Pianoteq on the fly, so I'm following up on on here.
Can I set it up so that I would have a single flexible generator and period of 2/1 with a scale size of 12? And a variable starting note for the chain? I mostly want to try out different meantones but tweaking it outside the range of a fifth would be cool.
My original question on XA was to have 12 "pitch sliders" set up to tune a quick well temperament but I was unsure if you said Alt-tuner could do that?

-Joakim
Mini Mac to Yamaha P50 Digital Piano as midi controller

Tall Kite

• The Tall One
  • Administrator
  • Expert Member
    • View Profile
    • my website:
Re: Retuning Pianoteq on the fly using variable generator or pitch sliders
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 02:07:35 PM »
To get meantone, simply click the center note of the lattice and cycle to the scale that has only yellow, white and green notes. Then click in the upper left on "lattice" to get to "prefs". Click on "linkages" and OK the first comma, g1 = 81/80. That's it!

The white (3/2) tuning slider will be at 1/4-comma. You can move it anywhere you want, and the yellow (5/4) slider will follow. You can move the yellow slider instead, and the white one will follow. Double-clicking the white slider puts you in pythagorean tuning (which is technically a form of meantone), and double-clicking the yellow slider puts you back in quarter-comma. Third-comma has the two sliders lined up off to the left, and fifth-comma has the white one off to the left and the yellow one off to the right, by equal amounts. The fifth can range anywhere from 600 to 800. See the attached gif.

To get a specific scale, go back to the lattice page. The genchain's starting point is the green note in the lower left. The ending point is the yellow note in the upper right. The center note is the 2nd white note, which is the 6th one in the chain. To make the center note be "D" for example, right-click on the big D note. As you modulate like this, the pitch offset from A-440 will change. You can control it by clicking or right-clicking on the cents number. You can reset it by clicking on the "A-440", which also does an all sound off.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:13:08 PM by Tall Kite »
DAWs: Reaper, ProTools 7.4 (PT is mac only)
HARDWARE: Yamaha s90 ES, M-Audio Keystation 49e, Line 6 FBV mark II express (footpedal unit)
SOFTSYNTHS: Kontakt 4, SampleTank 3 free, Pianoteq demo, ReaSynth, all Xen-Arts synths

Tall Kite

• The Tall One
  • Administrator
  • Expert Member
    • View Profile
    • my website:
Re: Retuning Pianoteq on the fly using variable generator or pitch sliders
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 02:18:28 PM »
You can move the white and yellow sliders as you play the keyboard, or as your DAW replays a midi file, or both, and you can hear the tuning of new notes instantly change. Old notes will change too, if you make the retroactive retuning window larger.

Well temperament is covered in the manual, on the 1st page of chapter  6.9, with step by step instructions, and an illustration. There are many kinds of well temperament, let me know if you need help getting your kind set up.
DAWs: Reaper, ProTools 7.4 (PT is mac only)
HARDWARE: Yamaha s90 ES, M-Audio Keystation 49e, Line 6 FBV mark II express (footpedal unit)
SOFTSYNTHS: Kontakt 4, SampleTank 3 free, Pianoteq demo, ReaSynth, all Xen-Arts synths