Author Topic: Current list of softsynths tested with alt-tuner  (Read 2639 times)

Tall Kite

• The Tall One
  • Administrator
  • Expert Member
    • View Profile
    • my website:
Current list of softsynths tested with alt-tuner
« on: August 22, 2013, 02:25:48 AM »
Tunable:

Kontakt 4 (Native Instruments) on OS X 10.5.4 and 10.9.5
SampleTank 2.5 free (IK Multimedia) on OS X 10.5.4 and 10.9.5 and Windows 7 & 8
Ivor, Xenharmonic FMTS and XenFont (Xen-Arts) on Windows 7 (no mac version)
PianoTeq 3.6.6 (Modartt) on OSX 10.5.4 and 10.9.5
Curve (CableGuys) on OS X 10.5.4
Superwave P8 (Superwave) on Windows 7 (pitch bends must be sent on channel 1)
Helm (Matt Tytel) on OS X 10.9.5
Addictive Keys (XLN Audio) on OS X 10.9.5
ReaSynth on OS X 10.9.5

Untunable:

Genesis CM (Unmet Ozcan) ignores pitch bend messages and is completely untunable

Curve (CableGuys) on Windows 7 has a sluggish response to pitch bends. It's fast enough to keep up with someone physically moving the wheel, but a little too slow for alt-tuner. You can hear audible "scoops" at the start of certain notes. Safe mode will solve the problem, but only if the tuning doesn't change over the course of the song.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:25:46 PM by Tall Kite »
DAWs: Reaper, ProTools 7.4 (PT is mac only)
HARDWARE: Yamaha s90 ES, M-Audio Keystation 49e, Line 6 FBV mark II express (footpedal unit)
SOFTSYNTHS: Kontakt 4, SampleTank 3 free, Pianoteq demo, ReaSynth, all Xen-Arts synths

Jason

• View Profile
Re: Current list of softsynths tested with alt-tuner
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 10:09:44 PM »
Hi, 

I'm just getting started and I have gotten Alt-tuner to work via solo play.rpp with Chipsounds (properly for single note only) but nothing else, which includes ReaSynth, Pianoteq 5, and Helm (Matt Tytel) on OS X.  The notes are indeed being circled on the lattice. It seems that these VSTs are not obeying the pitch bending and remapping of Alt-tuner and I'm not sure how to configure them to do so.  If anyone can enlighten me on how to get Helm to respond to the tuning it would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jason

Tall Kite

• The Tall One
  • Administrator
  • Expert Member
    • View Profile
    • my website:
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 01:19:41 AM »
Let's start with pianoteq because that's the easiest. Put it right after alt-tuner in the FX chain. Make sure that alt-tuner is in octave mode, 12 channels. That's it! If that doesn't work, please post your Reaper project here.
HARDWARE: Yamaha s90 ES, M-Audio Keystation 49e, Line 6 FBV mark II express (footpedal unit)
SOFTSYNTHS: Kontakt 4, SampleTank 3 free, Pianoteq demo, ReaSynth, all Xen-Arts synths

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 05:08:40 PM »
I went into prefs.misc and verified that # of midi channels out = 12, and that its in the octave mode for multi channel output.  I have attached my project. Thank you.

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:33:59 PM »
Oh, I should clarify that it is still not working with anything except for ChipSounds.  Of course I could retune PianoEQTeq by importing a Scala file, but the point is to get alt tuner to do the retuning.

Tall Kite

• The Tall One
  • Administrator
  • Expert Member
    • View Profile
    • my website:
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 08:51:28 PM »
Strange, it works perfectly for me. What exactly are you hearing? Normal 12-edo tuning, or nothing at all? What version OS are you using? What version of Reaper? What version of PianoTeq? The AUi format should work, but try the VSTi format too, just to check. No need to configure PianoTeq, it should work with alt-tuner straight out of the box. Try Helm too, IIRC it works like PianoTeq, just one instance needed.

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 09:54:17 PM »
Thanks for checking this out for me. For PianoTeq (and every other VST and AU I have except ChipSounds) I am hearing 12-EDO tuning. I am running on OS X 10.12.4 and I'm using Reaper v5.40.  Regarding PianoTeq, I have tried both the AUi and the VSTi with the same result. To be clear, I can change the tuning of ChipSounds at will in the same FX chain.  I reiterate this because I think it's an important point.  Strangely, I've tried perhaps eight different VST/AU synths, Helm included, and all seem to be stuck in 12 EDO.  I don't know what IIRC is.

Tall Kite

• The Tall One
  • Administrator
  • Expert Member
    • View Profile
    • my website:
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 10:47:20 PM »
IIRC = if I recall correctly :)

Do you have a midi controller with a pitch bend wheel? If so, play it to verify that your synths respond to manual pitch bends. If not, use the attached pitch bend effect to generate bends. While you're at it, confirm the bend range for each synth.

Next, put the ReaControlMIDI effect (comes with Reaper) right after alt-tuner and click "show log". You should see a pitch bend message with each note-on.

That should tell us where the problem is. The synth doesn't care if the bend is coming from the wheel or from alt-tuner.

Tall Kite

• The Tall One
  • Administrator
  • Expert Member
    • View Profile
    • my website:
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 02:08:59 PM »
By the way, the png file should go in the same directory as the pitch bend effect file.

Tall Kite

• The Tall One
  • Administrator
  • Expert Member
    • View Profile
    • my website:
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 01:38:32 AM »
Jason, just following up, did you ever get things working?