Author Topic: multi-timbral synth recomendations  (Read 547 times)

Jordan

• View Profile
multi-timbral synth recomendations
« on: February 13, 2017, 12:58:31 PM »
Hello.  I recently started using alt-tuner to create custom temperaments using the Addictive Keys piano samples.  While it is tunable, I seem to be experiencing a lot of pitch-shifting, so I assume it isn't multi-timbral.  I'm wondering if there are any recommendations for a high-quality multi-timbral piano sound-library.  Also, what would be a good cheap multi-timbral synth that I could use as a comparison.

Thanks,

Jordan

Tall Kite

• The Tall One
  • Administrator
  • Expert Member
    • View Profile
    • my website:
Re: multi-timbral synth recomendations
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 03:09:23 PM »
Correct, Addictive Keys is not multi-timbral. You can use non-multi-timbral synths if you use multiple instances of them, usually on multiple tracks. A hassle.

Multi-timbral synths with piano sounds:
PianoTeq
Kontakt
SampleTank
(there may be others)

None of these are free, but PianoTeq and SampleTank have free demo versions.

All of these require only one track with one instance. SampleTank requires that this instance be loaded with multiple instruments. Which means that if you need to tweak the sound, you have to do it multiple times, which is a hassle. PianoTeq is the easiest to use because it doesn't requires multiple instruments. Kontakt with alt-tuner's 8ve or non-8ve mode requires multiple instruments, but Kontakt also works with keyswitch mode, and then it only requires one instrument.

"As a comparison" -- do you mean something that you can use right away for free? Try the PianoTeq demo. Or if you're on a PC, try one of the xen-arts synths. No piano sound, but free and doesn't require multiple instances. Important: use sysex82 mode, not octave mode or non-octave mode.
DAWs: Reaper, ProTools 7.4 (PT is mac only)
HARDWARE: Yamaha s90 ES, M-Audio Keystation 49e, Line 6 FBV mark II express (footpedal unit)
SOFTSYNTHS: Kontakt 4, SampleTank 3 free, Pianoteq demo, ReaSynth, all Xen-Arts synths

Jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 08:24:27 PM »
Thanks much.  This is helpful.

Jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 06:45:22 PM »
Pianoteq seems to do the trick.  Any recommendations for multitimbral orchestral string sample libraries?

Thanks,

Jordan

Tall Kite

• The Tall One
  • Administrator
  • Expert Member
    • View Profile
    • my website:
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 11:14:49 AM »
Kontakt or Sampletank are two I've tested. There are many many more. KVRaudio.com is a good resource.
DAWs: Reaper, ProTools 7.4 (PT is mac only)
HARDWARE: Yamaha s90 ES, M-Audio Keystation 49e, Line 6 FBV mark II express (footpedal unit)
SOFTSYNTHS: Kontakt 4, SampleTank 3 free, Pianoteq demo, ReaSynth, all Xen-Arts synths